(Deep in the Heart of Donegal Tucked away in the beautiful Countryside, Church Hill Village nestles quietly in a breathtaking beautiful rural location.)
Church Hill: (Irish: Min an Labain) : is a small picturesque village located 9 miles (15 km) west of Letterkenny the largest town in Co. Donegal. The name derives from its location on top of a small hilltop. Churchill Village consists of : Local Post Office, St. Columba’s Church of Ireland.
3 Public Houses:
Mc Clafferty's Bar /Lounge,
Wilkins Bar /Lounge / Bar Food, / Take Away Food
(There is weekend entertainment in local pubs with traditional music (Ceili ) midweek Wednesday night ), Garda Station, Parochial House, Villager’s homes, self Catering Accommodation’s St. Colmcille's Catholic Church 1 mile (1.5 km) Hairdo’s Hairdressers 1 mile (1.5km)
Locally there are three beautiful lakes all in Scenic locations
Lough Nacally, Lough Akibbon and Gartan Lake. Trout and Salmon Fishing Permission needed Lough Beagh situated in the heart of the Glenveagh National Park; 4 miles long by ½ mile wide; Fishing: Salmon, sea trout and brown trout. Best known for quality of sea trout fishing in August and Sept. Boat fishing only; 2 boats for hire. Anglers are requested to respect the bird life on this lake, as there are some rare and interesting species residing here. Season 15 July-30 Sept. The River Lennon flows out of Lough Gartan through Kilmacrennan and Ramelton and into Lough Swilly. Lough Salt and Dunlewey Lough
The Church Hill Fair takes place each year the 3rd week end in July an event not to be missed
The 19th Annual Church hill fair. takes place on Fri 19th, Sat 20th, Sun 221st July 2013 Fun for all the family (Proceeds in aid of: DONEGAL PET RESCUE Official opening on Friday 20th July at 8.30pm Live on stage Charlie Collins
Sheep Dog Trials, Art exhibition and sale, Vintage Display, Bicycle Race 20 Miles, Car treasure hunt, Road Race and walks. ( Bridal path walk through Glenveagh National Park), Childrens Fishing Competition, Car Boot & Poultry Fair, Horse and Pony Show, Rare Breed Display, Tractor Run. Dog show, clay pigeon shoot, Duck race, slow bicycle race, Under age Soccer, Over 40’s soccer, Western Style Riders, Country arket & Street Stalls, Craft Display, Tug of war, Rope making, Chain Saw Sculptor,
Fri 19th 8.00pm- Music on Stage: To be advised
Sat 20th 9pm: Live on stage at Callaghan's Bar To be advised
Sun 21st at 3pm Live on stage at Wilkin's Bar To be advised
Sun 21st at 8.00pm - 10pm To be advised
Sun 21st at 8.30pm Main Draw with Closing Ceremony
Callaghan’s Bar Churchill +35374 9137329
Wilkin’s Bar Churchill +35374 9137019
Mc Claffertys Bar hurchill +35374 9137018
Beaches: Approximately 30 / 40 minutes drive from Churchill will bring you to some of the most beautifully beaches in Donegal: Downings, Marble Hill, Portnablagh, Rathmullan, Tra na Rossan Downings Ballymastocker Portsalon (The Observer magazines travel writers nominated this bay the second best beach in the world some years back (a beach in the Seychelles was the best)
Donegal has over 100 sandy beaches situated along its coast. According to a survey undertaken by the Marine Institute a number of years ago, Donegal has more sandy coasts than any other county in Ireland.
Golf Courses: Approximately 30 / 40 minutes drive again will bring you to the courses of Portsalon, Rosapenna, Letterkenny, and Ballybofey Donegal Golf Club at Murvagh, Co Donegal is an outstanding links golf course. Designed by the legendary course architect, Eddie Hackett, it is continually featured in Golf World’s Top 100 courses in Ireland and Great Britain.
Churchill has lots of opportunity for either river/loch fishing, Salmon and sea trout and brown trout fishing is available on Glen Lough, Lough More, Lough Fern, Gartan Lough, Letterkenny and District Anglers Association have rights on these lakes and they all offer good fishing for catches of Brown Trout, Sea Trout and salmon. The salmon fishing season in Donegal is March 1st to September 30th. The Sea trout and Brown trout season is from March 1st to October 30th. Both spinning and fly fishing are permitted.
The River Lennon flows from Lough Gartan at Churchill, through Kilmacrennan into Lough Fern and out again and enters Lough Swilly at Ramelton itcan be fished for Salmon and Brown Trout. Salmon licenses can be bought from the Anglers Haven Pub in Kilmacrennan.
Tells the story of the life and times of Donegal's patron saint, St. Colmcille (521-597) Born in Gartan, Churchill, and Walk-around exhibits include artistically designed banners, stained glass, illustrated panels, artifacts, and wax models in authentic clothing. There is also a step-by-step explanation of how ancient manuscripts were produced by the monks. The centre enjoys a delightful location overlooking Lough Gartan. Restaurant / Tea Rooms situated on Lake Side site on 100 acre site estate with nature walks.
The Centre houses a unique interpretative exhibition featuring the life and times of Saint Colmcille Patriarch of the Irish monastic system and founder of the Scottish Church. The exhibition is housed in a beautiful stone building on the shores of Lough Gartan in the Lough Veagh estate in the Derryveagh mountain range. There is a tearoom, coach parking and toilets. There is an audiovisual display with a choice of four languages
Open: Easter week and from the 1st Sunday in May to the last Sunday in September,
- Weekdays from 10:30 a.m. -6:30 p.m.
- Sunday 1pm - 6:30p.m.
Tel: +353 74 91 37306
Newmills Corn and Flax Mills - approx 1 mile
One of the few monuments of industrial archaeology in state care in the Republic is the complex of mills at Newmills, three miles west of Letterkenny.
The oldest surviving building here is said to be 400 years old. Indeed, the whole complex is an interesting reminder of a stage in the industrial development of this country, which has now given way to a more sophisticated, but usually far less fascinating technology.
A complex of industrial buildings, which included both corn and flax mills powered by the river swilly. The visitor to Newmills can experience the pleasure of seeing one of the largest waterwheels in Ireland in action as it drives the machinery of the cornmill.
Gartan Outdoor Education Centre - approx 1 mile
Gartan Outdoor Education Centre is a restored stone building set on the shore of beautiful Lough Gartan, Churchill, Co.Donegal, Ireland. It originally housed the stables and farm buildings of the old Lough Veagh House. The centre is set on its own 87 acre estate, and several activities take place on the lake and in the grounds.
Only very short distances have to be travelled to take advantage of our beautiful coastline and rugged hills. Our courses take place throughout Donegal and the rest of Ireland, and sometimes further afield.
Doe Castle - approx 1 mile off the Carrigart-Creeslough road. This MacSuibhne castle is protected on three sides by the sea, while on the landward side a moat has been hewn from the rock. The castle changed ownership many times in the 17th century before settling into English hands. General George Vaughan Harte carried out extensive repairs at the end of the 18th century and his family lived here until 1864. The general’s initials are over the door.
A Church of Ireland minister was the last occupant. When he left, the castle fell into disrepair and eventually fell into ruin. The Landlord, Stewart-bam of Ards, sold the property to the Irish Land Commission in 1922. It is now a National Monument.
Regency House, 1828, set in woodland gardens, decorated with William Morris textiles. Donated to the people of Ireland by English artist (and now honorary Irish citizen) Derek Hill who lived and painted in the Churchill Area The collection includes more than 300 works by leading 20th century artists such as Picasso, Bonnard, Kokoschka, and Jack Yeats, plus Donegal folk art, Japanese and Islamic art, papers and paintings by Derek Hill himself The house has access to the ground floor of the Gallery for people with disabilities. Attractive gardens can be viewed outside the house.
Tel: +00353 74 91 37071 Web Site
Open: Daily 10:00am - 6:30pm.
Closed until start of June
June - End Sept, Sat - Thur 11:00am - 6:30pm
Last tour 1 hour before closing Average Length of Visit: 1.5 hours
Glenveagh Nation Park
Glenveagh National Park lies in the heart of the Derryveagh Mountains north of Churchill a 10 minute drive and contains 14,000 hectares of lakes, mountains, bog land and woodland.
The 19th century Glenveagh Castle on the shores of Lough Veagh was once owned Henry Mc Ilhenney who bought Glenveagh in 1937. He was an Irish-American whose grandfather, John Mc Ilhenney invented the first gas meter. For seven years before his death in 1925, he was president of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. His son, Henry, inherited his artistic instinct and art collecting became the focus of his own life. He served with the American Navy during the Second World War for the period of the war, but by 1947, was able to return to Glenveagh.
From then until 1983, he stayed for several months each year at Glenveagh, where he devoted much time to restoring the castle and developing its gardens. He was visited at his remote hide-away by leading figures of international society, including the screen actors Greta Garbo and Grace Kelly, and he carried on the ’Big House’ lifestyle until his departure, though it had died out in almost all Irish country houses many years before. After Henry Mc Ilhenney retired from the museum in 1964, immediately becoming a trustee and later chairman of the board, he had more time to enjoy Glenveagh, and his summer visits often extended to five months.
Glenveagh Blossomed under his watchful stewardship. Plants were sent to his garden from all over the world and new areas of the garden were planted and developed. A Swimming pool was built by the lakeside. The period in Glenveagh’s history was remembered by Mr. Mc Ilhenny’s guests as a golden age. Eventually, Henry Mc Ilhenney began to find the travelling to and from Ireland too demanding, and the upkeep of the estate was also becoming a strain. In 1975 he agreed the sale of the Glenveagh estate to the Office of Public Works, allowing for the creation of a national park. In 1983, he bestowed the castle on the Nation, along with the gardens. He died unexpectedly in Philadelphia in 1986, at the age of 75. Glenveagh National Park opened to the public in 1984, while the castle was opened in 1986, a few months after its last private owner had passed away. Glenveagh is open to the public through the tourist season. It is the home to herds of red deer and the Golden Eagles which have been introduced to the park in recent years